Monday, July 30, 2018

An Introduction Towards a Theology of Raising Support

I have made eight trips to Haiti and I have raised support every time. Some people prefer to pay for the trip themselves. They don't feel led to raise support because God has blessed them financially. I talked to people who actually refused donations for their trip and subsequently admitted to me it was pride that caused them to refuse the gift. There seems to me confusion within the Church on how to view raising support. This blog is not so much about giving, but how Paul received and viewed the gifts the different churches sent to him.

When we read Philipians, we see that Paul had several purposes in mind when he wrote Philippians, but one of the main purposes was writing a thank you note for the financial support he received from the Philippians. By looking at how Paul received gifts, I hope to clarify how God uses the donations to bless the giver and the recipient in the context of missions.

The first passage demonstrates that Phillipians is not only a letter of encouragement and instruction to the Phillipians, but is also a thank you letter to them for their support of Paul during his imprisonment.
Philippians 1:3-5
I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.
This passage, according to some commentators, refers at least in part to the gift the Philippians sent to Paul.
Peter O'Brien on verse 1:3:
"P. Schubert ... renders the latter: 'I thank God for every (expression) of your remembrance of me'. Accordingly, there is an allusion to the recent money gift as well as to their help on previous occasions.
Paul returns to the topic of their gift later in the epistle. Pay particular attention as to how he views the gift.
Philippians 4:10-20
I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. (ESV)
Here are some points to notice in the passage on how Paul views their gift:
  • The gift was an indication to Paul of the Philippian church's concern for him. It encouraged Paul.
  • Paul did not feel he needed the gift. 
  • The gift was an indication of their partnership with Paul in the progress of the Gospel.
  • Paul viewed the gift as benefiting the givers. It was pleasing to God and a measure of how God was producing fruit in their lives 
  • Although Paul did not feel like he needed the gift, it did help him in his ministry
There is another benefit to receiving support in missions. It glorifies God. Paul teaches in 2nd Corinthians how generosity glorifies God.
2 Corinthians 9:11-15
For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God. By their approval of this service, they will glorify God because of your submission that comes from your confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others, while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you. Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!
The Corinthians' generosity produces not only prayers for the Corinthians from the recipients of the gift, but produces glory to God because both Corinthians, recipients and others are praising God for His generosity and grace.

God may lead you to pay for a mission trip out of your own funds. However, in my life God has used the process of raising support to bless me in several ways:

  • God humbles me. The very act of asking for money is humbling. 
  • God encourages me. The very fact that people trust that God will work through me in Haiti encourages me. 
  • God uses the gifts from donors as a way to have them partner with me in Haiti missions. In this partnership, my responsibilities are to pray for the donors and keep them informed of the progress of the Gospel in the ministry.
  • God uses the act of giving as a way of confirming the fruit of the Spirit in the donor's life. It demonstrates charity and a trust in God in their finances. 
  • God glorifies Himself in the process. We praise God through our giving. We praise God in receiving His good gifts in thankfulness. We praise God in our prayers for one another as a result of the act of giving. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Introduction Towards a Theology of Raising Support Part II

One of the shortest books of the Bible is 3rd John . It is a letter from the apostle John to his dear friend, Gaius, who is in a different c...