Friday, June 15, 2018

Haiti Motos and the Christian Life

Philippians 3:12-14
"Do not mistake me, I hold the language of hope, not of assurance. I have not yet reached the goal; I am not yet made perfect. But I press forward in the race, eager to grasp the prize, forasmuch as Christ also has grasped me. My brothers, let other men vaunt their security. Such is not my language. I do not consider that I have the prize already in my grasp. This, and this only, is my rule, forgetting the landmarks already passed as straining every nerve and muscle in the onward race, I press forward ever towards the goal, that I may win the prize of my heavenly rest whereunto God has called me in Christ Jesus." (Translated by J. B. Lightfoot).
In my last trip to Haiti I preached on Philippians 3. I chose the passage for two reasons. First, I was studying the passage in depth for the Men's Bible Study and second, I was reflecting on how that passage applies to baptism. Three members from our church were being baptized in Haiti that week and baptism was on my mind for devotions. Obviously, Philippians 3 does not address baptism directly; Paul was writing about circumcision.

Paul needed to address a false teaching about circumcision because there was a group of false teachers at the time pestering the young church by teaching believers that to be really saved one needed to be circumcised. Faith in Christ was good they would say, but circumcision was needed to be fully saved. Paul pointed out in this passage that our assurance of salvation does not rest on our past deeds. In the Christian life we do not rest upon our accomplishments, but what God is doing in our lives in the present. Peter O'Brien makes this clear in his commentary on Philipplians:
But he [Paul] does not recall the things God has achieved through him in order to encourage self-satisfaction or relaxation or effort. He will not allow either the achievements of the past (which God has wrought) or, for that matter, his failures as a Christian to prevent his gaze from being fixed firmly on the finish line. In this sense he forgets as he runs.
In this way the passage does apply to baptism. Baptism is commanded and is highly recommended in our church, but we should not use the fact that we are baptized as an assurance of our salvation. It is God who saves. God wants us to know Him and He wants us to pursue him.

As I was meditating on baptism and the Philippians passage in Haiti, I came up with an illustration from my experiences in Haiti. In an earlier trip, one of the translators, Patrick, gave me a ride on his "Moto", which is a small motorcycle. As we started downhill, he turned off the engine so he could coast downhill to save gas. As I meditated on this, I realized a moto ride could illustrate the Christian life as taught by Paul in this passage. Going up the mountain on a moto is like Paul's vision of the Christian life. In this passage, the Holy Spirit is a running moto. He will take us up the mountain if we rely on Him and keep the bike pointed up hill. If we stop and get off the moto to admire how far we travelled, we are not making progress in your spiritual walk. We may be thankful to God for bringing us so far, but the odds are we are being prideful on how far we have come. Looking back is not progress in knowing God.

Let us dig into the analogy even further. When we turn off the engine to save gas and coast down the hill, we are moving; however, we are no longer going up the hill: we are no longer pursuing Christ. In other words, if we try to get assurance of salvation by obeying rules and performing works on our own power, then we are no longer getting to know Christ better and we are no longer living by grace. We would be then living under the Law. If we do not repent and turn back up hill to pursue Christ, the pull of sin will take us away from God. We may try doing all the things that we used to do in our walk in Christ, but if we do it not to pursue Christ, but rather try to earn our way to heaven or gain favor from our fellow man, we will fail.

Paul writes that in our Christian walk we need to intentionally strain every nerve and muscle in our pursuit of God. There may be ruts and rocks in our path, but we need always to keep pointing the moto up the hill. False teaching may come to distract us, "weight and sin" may slow us (Hebrews 12:1,2), but we need to keep Christ as our goal.

In keeping with our illustration, we need to fuel the engine. We need to do things the Bible says to do to know God: prayer, bible reading, loving others, confession, good works, and obedience to His Word. We also need to maintain the engine. We need to confess our sins on a regular basis to keep the engine clean. We need to stay in fellowship with other believers so we may keep our spiritual life tuned.

The analogy is imperfect and I am only using it to illustrate this passage. In summary, Paul is teaching in Philippians 3 that the active pursuing of God gives us assurance of salvation. Landmarks of our faith are important, but we should not trust in them give us confidence in our relationship with God. It is by God's grace that we stay on the path and God working through us that causes us to grow, but somehow in all this we are responsible to stay focused on God. We are to strain every spiritual nerve and muscle in our pursuit of the knowledge of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Introduction Towards a Theology of Raising Support Part II

One of the shortest books of the Bible is 3rd John . It is a letter from the apostle John to his dear friend, Gaius, who is in a different c...